Kueh Salat.

Kueh Salat.
When we were young, we called all these noya kueh including the rainbows kueh, kueh dadar and kueh kosui as otah kueh. I also do not know why. It was only when we started to buy Bengawan solo's kueh that we realised the individual kueh has got a individual name to it.
I have never a fan of these kuehs until I tried a piece from Chalk Farm, it was very expensive, but when I bite into their kueh salat, my view towards kueh salat changed.
Upon recommendation of a friend we followed a recipe from YouTube Shiokman Eddie and it turned out, the kueh tasted just like the high class Chalk Farm Kueh Salat. 
Never know I can ended up making this kueh and loving it.

Sharing the recipe from Shiokman Eddie at the following link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCCf39cF7uE&t=68s

Sharing my interpretation of the recipe, using the same recipe in the following link
https://kimpriorityf3.blogspot.com/2020/06/kueh-salat.html

 

Pulut Hitam Kueh Salat.
I was very hungry one day, so I bought a piece of Kueh Salat with black rice for a change. Oh, the nutty taste of the black glutinous rice made me so happy. From then onwards, I will only buy the black rice kueh salat from that store. The thing is, this store has a limited stock for black rice kueh salat, so if I am late, I will not be able to get any of it. 
I know how to make kueh salat, but I do not want to make it because it do not taste good if I keep in the fridge if I cannot finish it. The shelf life is too short.
But hey, I have some left over of Pulut Hitam and I need to pray my ancestor soon... meaning I can share with my siblings... and will be able to finish them. So I decided to tweak my recipe shared earlier and never regret.
Actually, I thought the rice is a little too hard, because black rice has got a shell on it, but everyone who tried it said it was better than the white ones. To my surprise the rice is not that hard when I defrost form the refrigerator. Unlike the white ones, we need to steam it. Perhaps, we were prepared to eat the QQ rice instead of the soft rice, so we can make do without steaming. Of course steaming it will get better result, however I was left with only 2 pieces, so I just ate it after defrost and it taste good.

Comments

Popular Posts